I just got off the phone from calling nanny contestant #2 that she didn't get the job. What made it especially craptastic, was I left a message. I felt awkward for sure doing that, and I was honest - someone else can start at 6 instead of 7. I wasn't honest with my other reason - how on earth can I give orders to someone who's old enough to be my mum?
What's going to be even more awkward is calling contestant #1 on Wednesday this too. I'd much rather be her friend than her boss anyway. I hope it goes well. Gah! I HATE the telling someone they didn't get the job or the firing conversation. Even though I have all this 'conflict management' training, it doesn't make these discussions any easier.
My friend and her daughter did make it over on Saturday afternoon. She's staying until we leave for work tomorrow. So I missed a fourth week of church and the second MFRC potluck. I was really looking forward to both events, but after spending the day with my friend, I'm glad she came. We go sometimes a year (or more) between visits, sometimes 6 months between phone calls. This visit was realy nice and special because we had such a great time together. It was nice to see ourselves as parents. We started out as school chums in a new school in a new city. Our friendship has lasted through many interesting episodes, with our thread of friendship sometimes very thin, and sometimes thick.
To spend time with her and her daughter was a nice break from our usual insular routine of home-dance-groceries-home on Saturday and home-church-maybe somewhere else-home on Sunday. We played outside yesterday afternoon, had WONDERFUL butter chicken (first time I made it - won't be the last for sure!), then went out for a couple hours for a beer and some kareoke. Today we grabbed some carrots and coffee and fed the horses carrots, played in friend's backyard, had lunch, and went outside to play after the non-existent nap-time.
Sailor is making plans to come home for two weeks in May. He'll be here for Ray's first rehearsal, but leave the day of her second rehearsal, and the day before her first performance (if she does actually move on stage). That'll be fun to get through. At any rate, he's apparently supposed to work for the first few days and then get the rest off. He's not going to be happy when he sees the mold growing under the deck he built last year.
Seems I got the bursary for the church camp too. Ray's been talking about it and wants to make a checklist of items we need to bring. So cute.
Well, busy day tomorrow - mess meeting. Maybe I'll find out if I go the job or not. Hahahhaahahahahah. I kill me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.