Sunday, January 24, 2010

GPS = Getting Purposely Screwed-up!

Well! What a weekend it was! On Friday I did some laundry:

I needed to pack to get ready for my trip to Guelph and surrounding area to meet my 'invisible friends from the other side of the keyboard'.

I managed to rent a Nissan Versa for the weekend (Enterprise has a great weekend rate!) and set off with the GPS plugged in, and leading me south-west-ward.




I arrived Guelph in good time - about an hour and a half - taking back roads all the way. Got to see a lot of Ontario farm country. I filled up in Brisbane! I thought that was kind of funny. Then I met someone I'd known for 8 years! We had a lovely night catching up and she and her boyfriend and I went to a local pub for a late supper. The mound of mashed potatoes was like something out of Encounters of the Third Kind's sculpture scene with Richard Dreyfuss!

On Saturday, a beautiful sunny day, we went to the Cathedral in Guelph, where I took a bunch of pictures of the lovely building, practicing my architectural eye. We did go to the local market and
I bought some elk pepperettes, some orange cheese curds, a bottle of fresh maple syrup, and a loaf of lovely Russian bread for the pot luck later. I'd love to go back!




























We had lunch at a restaurant called, Angel's, and there was a ton of Elvis, Marilyn, James Dean, etc memorabilia all over the place. I took this photo because there's a "Elvis Fan's Only Parking" poster... which says, "Violaters will be all shook up". I thought that was pretty funny.


I left Guelph and tried to plug in St. George into the GPS. It took it, but couldn't find the street I needed, so I decided to use the postal code. After an hour's driving, I made it to Scotland. Then I was directed to Paris. Not bad considering there were no trans-atlantic flights involved! I picked up a friend at a pub in Paris, and we drove to St George for a lovely supper with some more imaginary friends (some of whom I'd met before). The love and laughter, the fun... it was stupendous (and I'm not just saying that because some of them read my Blog!). I really had a great time with these women, who has shared so much with me and each other over the years. I stayed up til 1:15 chatting with my hostess and then had a lovely sleep. We had a great breakfast made by her husband and chatted for another 3+ hours before I dragged my sorry butt to the car.

The GPS got me on the 401 and back to the 400N in plenty of time to hit the outlet mall where I bought the girls some clothes and a new, smaller pair of snow/rain boots for me. And another book. While driving, I made it through Milton, where some friends are from. I thought I'd take a photo to email him back at home.










I got to Skype with the girls when they got home from their Grandmother's and spent 30 minutes absorbing their faces in chunks, as the camera isn't as smooth as it could be. Sailor's doing a great job with them. They were smiley, and happy and Greta and I "tickled" each other through the camera. We're going to try to Skype again tomorrow around dinner time so that they'll actually stay at the table to eat!

This week's flex:

Mon: Powerpoint presentation (tested) in syndicate. Budgets. Night: nothing.
Tue: PT, Budgets. Night: nothing.
Wed: Budgets, procurement. Night: Nothing.
Thu: Procurement, Purchasing, my Emergency Preparedness presentation, PT. Night: Karaoke.
Fri: Guest Lecture, PT. Night: to Toronto!! Mississauga's having a dinner and I'm crashing!
Sat: Pickering party.
Sun: ROM and return to Barrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.