Sunday, May 31, 2009

In The Good Old Summer Time

Another week down, thank goodness. Sailor's been sick - shakes, fever, chest cold. It's settled into his chest apparently. I hope it's not bronchitis. I'm coming down with a stuffy nose thing myself now. Sympathy sick?

The girls are fine. Ray had her last dance class of the year yesterday. She's determined to go into Primary Modern next year. No shoes, just body suit and bike shorts. Sweet. I'm waiting for my tax return to come in so I can pay for the whole thing in one shot and save 10% (whoop-de-do).

Greta's good, despite falling off her sister's bed (which is on the floor) and clonking her head. I'm seriously thinking of taking her to get an MRI just in case there's a bruise inside there somewhere. She had her hearing test the other day - passed it with flying colours. I'm so glad. She sees the ENT at the end of the month, and then both girls see the dentist two days after that.

Sailor's trying to come home again, this time for around Father's Day. I sure hope it works this time. Until he's actually landed though, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Ray and I were weeding under our cherry tree last week and the front of the house hose popped off its connector. It was a jerry-rigged kind of thing, where the hose is clamped onto a copper tube, which is again clamped onto the hose that goes into the tap. This is not working now, so I can't use one of the hoses. The other hose is attached to a sprinkler, and beginning tomorrow, we're on water restrictions - odd days between 07 and 0900, and 19-2100. Good thing we're an odd # house, as we get two days in a row for those months ending in 31.

At any rate, it just adds one more thing to Sailor's "Honey-Do" list when he gets home for a visit. Poor guy - he's going to need to go back to sea for a rest.

I took the tarps off the deck today. They're disgusting (another thing for Sailor to work on when he's home), and are drying out on the back lawn. I swept the deck off, watered some plants, hung some laundry to dry, swept the driveway and front steps, and broke down the boxes for recycling all before I had breakfast. No wonder I was grumpy!

Then we went to the MFRC for the ship's family network meeting. I got a delicious 15 minute massage in a chair while the girls ate their body weight in chocolate covered fruit. I knew I had given them enough when Greta took a bite of her third strawberry, then refused the rest of it. Then they blew off steam in the childcare area while we listened to the CO's briefing. Very informative, as usual, and this time Sailor's picture was up on the slideshow (along the the rest of the guys in his section). Cool to see, for sure.

A little thing that bothered me was that when I got the girls afterward, they were outside in the play yard, but neither had been sunscreened (after I had pointed it out to the care givers), and Greta didn't have her ball cap on. It was cloudy, but nonetheless, I was a little peeved (not quite pissed off, but not lackadaisical about it either) that something so basic was not done. Especially as I had specifically told both rooms' adults where the sunscreen was, and Greta's hat was right on top of her bag, which they were nice enough to keep in the room with them.

In the grand scheme of things, probably not a HUGE thing to get cranky about, but the perfectionist in me, especially the 'mamma bear' perfectionist, just wonders, what else would they have not done? I know that Ray made a sailboat picture for her dad, but is it going to get to him? They didn't ask me for his name when I picked Ray up, and she just calls him Daddy, so how would they know who to send it to on the boat?

Aaaaaanyway, not a big deal I guess. I do have other things to concentrate on:

Mon: Mary Kay trg night, so the girls get a sitter!
Tue: Getting tickets to the Lipizzaner's show in July - floor seats!
Wed: the girls go to the beach for the forenoon, and I have a meeting about the Homecoming statue project.
Thur: hmmm... homework I bet. Darned marketing course!
Fri: nothing so far, but it could change
Sat: thinking of going to see the Pacific Northwest Raptors.

We have a couple things planned for the months ahead too:
June: Goldstream Park, St Jean Baptiste party, Church picnic, Formation Fun Day, I'm going to the Bachman/Cummings concert!, the pre-school's year-end picnic.

July: Lipizzaner horses, afternoon party at friend's place full of music and fun, a viist to Saltspring Island, maybe a ride on the Dayliner (if I can convince Ray it'll be fun).

August: Church camp for a week!!!!, the RCMP Musical Ride, my cousin's bbq, and of course, the arrival of Sailor! Not to mention a kick-ass concert my club is putting on the day after he gets home... and then, of course, my weekend at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort & Spa with some friends.

I still have to find a way to get the car detailed (an 8 hour job) without a second vehicle - or a second driver to get the second vehicle to meet me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.