Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wild, Wild Life

Well, Sailor's out of the 'box' today. Which, on the plus side, means that they're not officially chasing pirates anymore. On the minus side, that's the end to the extra pay incentives (over $2K a month). Oh well, the money we do get will help us finish the deck in style (glass panels!), get a new swingset for the girls, and pay our house taxes off easily.

All week we had a mini heat wave - temps hovering around 30+ from Monday til Thursday. The house was sweltering in the bedrooms - even with the fans going, the girls' rooms were 30 degrees at their coolest. I finally managed to get our air conditioner working in our bedroom and it was heaven... while it was going. Made for LOUD tv at night, so I'd turn it off. And then the heat would creep up again. Even with the shades drawn to avoid the afternoon sun, it was so very hot in our rooms.

Of course, now that the weekend is here, it's overcast ,windy and down to 18. So much for a picnic on the beach.

I managed, finally, to pick up three floor tickets "Golden Circle" to the Lipizzaner Stallions coming to the big city in July. It's coming to the small city the week prior, but it's a 7:30 show on a Tuesday night, so instead, we'll catch the weekend matinee. I can hardly wait! Last time, Ray was enthralled and spent the whole show with big eyes and a big grin.

On Sunday night, our cat showed his devotion to his new family by bringing home dinner - a mouse he caught and killed outside. It was about 10pm and just as I was dozing off, I heard him yowling a little and thumping on the floor. Turns out he was playing with his food. I grabbed tongs and a paper towel and put it out on the deck and then washed the blood spots off the floor. 15 minutes later, he was at it again. This time, I took it outside and closed the cat door after him. He was very happy to come in the house the next morning.

Monday afternoon, as I was taking the diapers off the drying rack on the deck, our neighbour from across the way came over asking if I'd seen the bear! I had heard quite a rustling in the back 40 but it never dawned on me that it was a bear back there!! Apparently an adolescent (no mama following, thankfully) had traveled from one side of the subdivision to our side, heading for more bush (towards the private school on the other side of the complex). Neighbour was worried that we were outside in the back yard with the girls.

Now, I don't usually let them hang out without me in eye-shot - we have tons of stinging nettles and rocks, and now...bears too.

This week's flex:
Today: groceries and playdate in afternoon
Sun: church, laundry
Mon - Fri: work. nothing exciting on the agenda

Just killin' time til Sailor comes home for his visit. I've arranged it with the cleaners to come clean again the day he arrives so he'll have a nice clean house to come home to. I just need to remember to write the cheque this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.