Thursday was Greta's last day at her daycare. I got her and her husband tickets to the local ECHL team's playoff game, and a potted plant. I cried as we left. I was teary all day. Still am when I think of it, actually. Got the girls' photos back from Sears that day too. They turned out well.
Friday I had parade practice. I told them I could only stay for 20 minutes. It took 4 to give me my words of command for the parade. Then I popped into the Band office to meet the CO and my liaison. They were a little taken aback at my confidence with regards to singing, but as I said to the piano player, I have to be confident if I'm the front man! I think they're planning on having me sing at other public occasions besides just a summer concert in the park! They asked me to choose three country songs that they'll orchestrate for me to sing. How exciting! Lots to choose from!
Then I had my meeting with the Base Commander. The Base Chief and my Chief were there too. It was nice and went very well I believe. The BComd seemed quite surprised at my military history (I left out a few things that would have REALLY amazed him), and that I'm single-mumming it, selling Mary Kay and doing my diploma too! He is really happy that I'm getting so uch accomplished at the mess and said he'd light a fire under the construction guys to see what we can do for the building quickly.
When I had bought the hockey tickets, the guy I met there when I enquired about season tickets for the mess offered me tickets for the Friday night game. I asked him if I could offer them to mess members instead. So, I put out a call to all members that the first two people to show up would get a set (2) of tickets for the Friday game. They were gone within 45 minutes!
Our plan is to give a set away for the regular season at each Canucks game and UFC that we show. And I'm going to enquire about the Jr team in town too, to see what they have available.
The BComd seemed impressed with that. Then we had the photo op and he said he was really glad to see me in the job and that the leadership to lead the mess is in good hands!
Five minutes later, as I was entering a different building, my Chief was exiting. He's a tough audience, but I said, "We have to stop meeting like this," He smiled and said, "You did a great job in the meeting," as he went out the door. Well knock me down or what?!
Friday night I went to a vocal choir workshop in Duncan. Two hours of learning better breath control and singing. It was lovely. I didn't even cough too much. I forgot to pay the babysitter. I'll catch her next time, but what a dope I am! Then I proceeded to get myself a Bachman Cummings ticket for their show next month.
I had promised Ray that if she danced today, I would take her for lunch tomorrow at her favourite restaurant. She danced! We're going for a late lunch/early supper.
Greta took a tumble at the studio location! Down four concrete steps - it could have been more than 20 - and I aged quickly in 6 seconds. I flew the 10 feet to the steps and stopped her from going any further. She didn't injure herself at all, except for a bruise on her nose and some on her legs. Thank God.
I might be going to see U2 in October!! I have a line on tickets, and with any luck, they're not as expensive as the $250 ones left online. Aw... I'll go anyway. It's U2!
This week's flex:
Sun: Drop off the girls, BOTA, get the girls, meal at the restaurant.
Mon: Downtown to kick off the Centennial Statue project.
Tues: Executive meeting (now that I have a full compliment, finally!)
Wed: Work.
Thurs: OFF! Ray has her 'practice' day at Kindy, so I'm going to drop her off and pick her up, but I'll get some running around done too and catch up on other things.
Fri: Work.
Sat: Dance. Groceries.
Now... for the REALLY good news:FW: Message for your friends and families
Friends and Family of WINNIPEG. We have received some clarification regarding the length of time we will be conducting counter piracy operations as a part of NATO's Standing NATO Maritime Group One (SNMG1) that I would like to pass on to you.
The Minister of National Defence has authorized HMCS WINNIPEG to conduct counter-piracy operations with SNMG1 until the end of May timeframe, at which point the ship will depart the Gulf of Aden and commence a transit to Australia to resume our previously scheduled program. While WINNIPEG will complete its time with SNMG1 at the end of May, the remainder of the group will carry-on until 28 June. We anticipate that we will arrive in Brisbane, Australia for a port visit in early July on the same dates that I briefed to you at the MFRC Family Briefing prior to our departure from Esquimalt. Our port visits during the transit from the Gulf of Aden to Brisbane have not yet been confirmed, but will be passed on to you once known. While we hope to get this information as soon as possible, it may take up to a couple of weeks before this information is known for certain. Once we have arrived in Brisbane I anticipate the ship's program will remain as originally scheduled, and that WINNIPEG will arrive back in Esquimalt for 21 August.
Once again, I ask that if you have any questions at all regarding our deployment, please contact the MFRC who will then forward the questions onto WINNIPEG.
Thank you,
Craig Baines
Commander
Commanding Officer
I have to send some receipts to CRA in order to get my tax return completed and then I can pay off some stuff.
We're going to hire a gardener to mow the lawn and weed the flower beds. I don't have the time or the desire to do it myself. All I want to do is read, sleep, or drink. And I can't drink til the antibiotics are done.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.