Sunday, June 28, 2009

Waiting For The Other Shoe

On Thursday, at work, an email awaited me. Asking if I'd like to go to Merritt to wave the flag for the Navy. The exact-ish wording was, "for the Merritt Mountain Music Festival scheduled for 9-12 Jul. Minimum of two Navy personnel are required. Optimally it would be two personnel with a country music interest and who are comfortable in public. Individuals should be confident and well spoken. They will be required to interact with the public throughout the day and will be on stage periodically during the national anthem, raising of the flag and during airing of the CF "Fight with Us" videos."

It took me but minutes to cry that I couldn't go because of a lack of sitter for the girls. At the end of the day I was driving home and decided to call my friend A, who lives on the mainland and is also a big Merritt person and have her commiserate with me. She then volunteered to come over and stay with the girls while I go!!

I called my friend back (who had sent me the original email) and said, "Sign me up!!" I then tried to get a hold of my VPMC because he'd be PERFECT for it too! Couldn't find his home number... did later, but that has no bearing really.

At any rate, Sailor kinda gave me the hinky eye when I told him that A would come over (either with or without her daughter who is Greta's age!) and watch the girls while I go to the Fest, but he agrees it's a great opportunity for me, both professionally and musically.

Upon talking to the girl sending out the email on Friday (at a super successful Boss's Afternoon! YAY), I told her that the VPMC was cleared to go too. Then she told me of another girl has put her name forward. I know T, and she's a great person, so I said that either person would do great. With my luck, those two will go (VPMC and T) and I'd end up staying behind.

Anyway, until I'm actually on the road to Merritt, with TD $$ in hand and an RV (we hope) to stay in... I'm not counting on anything. But once I'm there... hooo BOY I'm gonna have fun! I love my job, so that'll be the fun and easy part. Then I'm bringing my guitar and a song book and gonna hit a few sing-alongs I hope!

The rest of the week went pretty much as planned - Sailor put up the swing set/play thingy, and did a great job. He's fixed the front hose and planned the front patio/garden area. He is gone, and has told me of his craptastic flight back to Oz (two delays, one hard port/hard starboard landing, and one bouncy landing). They're now at sea, on their way easterly.

This week's flex is:
Mon: pick up stuff from Canadian Rona Depot Mart for us (my money), the mess and a mess member (club money). Mary Kay product launch night so the babysitter will be called in for a while.
Tues: taking the truck into town to pick up some second hand glass panels for the deck after the chiro. Then coming home, switching the car seats into the car and getting the girls.
Wed: HAPPY CANADA DAY!! It's going to be a busy one - I have to make some more spaghetti sauce and jar it.
Thurs: Normal work day.
Fri: Working, then Mary Kay awards night at the Club. Again, the future richest 12 year-old in the area will be watching the girls and having supper here with them.
Sat: Groceries, then we see the Lippizzanner horses right on the floor!
Sun: Church and then our friend's annual country party for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, no flames or ignorant comments. This Blog will be read by children as a time capsule of their lives. Don't be the asshat who turns this into a bad experience.